Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Wedding Ranter

Listening to the radio this weekend I heard a commercial for the Shane Company. Tom Shane actually said something along the lines of: “Remember guys, it’s not just the girl you have to impress, it’s her friends, her aunts, her mother, her grandmother. So make sure you get her something she can show off to everyone”

WTF?

This is proof that society has made marriage to be about the wedding and the ring and not about the compatibility. And people are falling for this shit. Girls actually believe that it’s the size of the ring that decides the size of the love.

COME ON people. This is why the divorce rate is 50%.

You can have nothing in common, he can beat the living shit out of her. She can cheat on him with every pool boy that crosses her path, but as long as that damn ring is impressive the marriage is good.

You have GOT to be kidding me!

I have heard women say: “Well if he thinks he’s getting me anything less than a caret he can forget about the wedding” I have also heard women make excuses for the size of the ring. Saying that she has made it clear to him that he will upgrade this ring or else.

That is just sad and pathetic.

I can’t imagine trading in my wedding ring for anything. It was the ring I was married with. It’s the ring he put on my finger when we said “I do”. Why on earth would someone want to trade that in?

I told my husband from the start that I didn’t care if it was a diamond. It could be a twist tie for all I cared. I wasn’t going to give in to the diamond cartel. Diamonds are actually just a controlled substance, in reality they are quite abundant, and not at all rare or precious. We have just made them that way. Or allowed them to be made into a precious commodity.

So remember boys and girls, if it is at all about the size of the diamond or impressing friends with a really fancy wedding run! Do not stop, do not collect 200 dollars, just run the hell away. It ain’t worth it. And it will save money in the long run. Divorce is expensive. Why invest your life in a person whose only commitment to you is based on how much you are willing to commit financially?

1 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's jsut a variation of the old "single or big-ass-honkin'-bouquet-o-roses" question that soemone asked us back in college. One girl actually said "hell, I'll take him for every penny he can spend."

Nice. I'll bet she's on marriage #3 now, at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home